Having a good singing coach is an absolute necessary for any artist. They shape your personality and your music as well. Therefore, it is important that you choose your singing coach very carefully.
Here are some qualities that you should look for before deciding on your singing coach.
- They understand your interests: Every individual is different and have different interests. Having a singing coach who is set in his own ways and doesn’t really respond to your needs can hamper your overall growth. Your coach should take your interests into consideration. A good singing coach will always create an environment where you can clearly state what you want. Ask questions, take their views on different subjects this will help you understand whether not he/she will value your opinions.
- Your personalities should be compatible: It is one of the key factors which affects your learning and progress. It is very important that your temper matches with your teacher. Make sure that your singing coach is open minded and adjusts according to your needs.
- They understand your music style: Even though the foundation of singing is similar for every style, but it is better if you choose a coach who belongs to your music style. This will give your coach a clearer view about your goals and aspirations.
- They inspire you: All great musicians have coaches who inspired them and made them better. Quality of a good teacher is that they have an aura which inspires everyone around them. Make sure that your singing coach radiates positivity. It will really speed up and improve your growth graph.
- They are nurturing: It would be difficult for you to make progress in a high-pressure environment. Maintaining discipline is important but not at the cost of growth and development. Having a very strict teacher can have a really negative impact on your overall growth. Therefore, make sure that your singing coach is someone who pushes you to be your best, instead of someone who pushes you down by constant scolding or yelling.
- They hold a degree in music: This might not be an absolute necessary but it is better if you can find someone who has all the above qualities and also holds a music degree. A degree ensures that your singing coach is professional and he/she can give you some meaningful insights about how to get a degree, if you want one.
Above are the qualities that you should definitely look for before deciding on your music coach. It could be tiring or even frustrating to find someone who is compatible with you. But don’t give up too soon and settle for some mediocre teacher. Be patient, do your research and ask around, Toronto has a wide range of singing coaches, so you have nothing to worry about.Just make sure that your singing coach checks all your boxes.
Another great tip for finding a good singing coach is to interview them, always take a trial lesson before finalizing your coach.